Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Assessments {with the McGrew Crew}

Being a home school family we do assessments differently than schools. We do not have the standardized state testing most schools have yearly, but I do feel that assessing my kids often is necessary in seeing where they are and making sure I haven't overlooked something. That being said, because I only have 3 students I can focus more time on each one and know where they are academically without giving weekly tests, quizzes, etc. 

Reading is one area where we don't do written assessments often. I find that sparking a discussion with my kids gives me a wonderful chance to clarify things they didn't grasp and to see how well they did understand the book. We do novel studies several times a year. Last year we read "Mr. Popper's Penguins" and completed a fun lap book along with it from Confessions of a Homeschooler
We do have some reading workbooks that my kids often complete on their own that are broken down into different reading categories (i.e. sequence, context, main idea, inference, etc.). This is also a wonderful reading assessment tool. 
Spelling and math are two subjects that we do have frequent written assessments. Spelling is weekly and math is after completing a chapter. Even homeschoolers don't get out of some things! ;-) We enjoy using these FREE and fun spelling tests from 1st Grade is WeinerFUL!

I love using this "Number of the Day" activity with my 1st/2nd graders each day. It's a quick and easy way to see how well they are understanding numbers. Get it HERE!
Self-assessment is a great way for students to begin recognizing their own mistakes and correcting them. I love the activities that use QR codes for students to check themselves. There are many out there, THIS is just one that we have used from Kristen Kennedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment