Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Sensation Science Integrated in your Reading Block! {with Sassy, Savvy, Simple Teaching}


Hello Friends~

Welcome to the Elementary Entourage! I'm Dianna from Sassy, Savvy, Simple Teaching here today to share about SCIENCE in your READING block!

YES! Informational studies integrated into your Reading block has so many benefits! Here are a few:

  • High Interest
  • Complex Text
  • Content Vocabulary
  • Academic Vocabulary
  • High Levels of Comprehension through Oral and Written expression
  • Research Opportunities
  • Covers Informational Standards
  • Covers Science Standards
  • Can Implement Technology, Writing, Speaking and Listening Standards!
Another advantage to integrating Science into your Reading block is the ability to pair texts! Grab a fictional text that goes along with your Science topic. There is so many possibilities and you can cover so many standards each day by using this Instructional Approach.

You can implement Science in your Reading block through:
  • Read-Aloud
  • Shared Reading
  • Interactive Reading
  • Guided Reading
  • Close Reading
  • Cloze Reading
  • Buddy Reading
  • Independent Reading
My personal favorite way to implement Science into your Reading block is through Close Reading with small groups. I love this opportunity to engage students with high interest content at a high lexile range. I find students are more willing to attack the text using their strategies if they are interested. It especially helps me from an instructional stand point interact with students and use a variety of reading strategies and skills! I love to use a range of topics with subtopics I can focus on during blocks of time that also correlate with the Science topics covered in the grade level. 

I use this time to revisit text frequently as I work through the standards with students as well as focus on word solving strategies, fluency, comprehension, phonics and more!

Below is an example of how I use Science Close Reads in my small group instruction:

{Click HERE or on the photos below for a direct link!}







Click HERE or below to try a FREE SAMPLE for yourself!


You can find a range of Science and Social Studies topics in my store that you can integrate in your Reading block by clicking HERE!



No comments:

Post a Comment