Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Flipped Homework {The Learning Chambers}



Yes, I do send home homework.  I think it's a great way to involve parents in helping their child at home.  I send home a weekly homework calendar and I have flipped math lessons for homework.  I'm super excited to share with you how I handle homework in second grade.

Homework Binder
My kids really struggle with organization!  On top of the organization struggle, there are so many folders that have to go home and on certain days.  It's too confusing!  My school has a folder that goes home every Monday, a homework folder that goes home Monday through Thursday, and I had a behavior folder that went home daily.  It was too much and I decided on a much easier system with the help of my old teaching neighbor, Judy.  The kids have a binder that they take home Monday through Thursday.  It stays at school on Fridays so that I can stuff it with graded work, new homework, and notes.  I punched holes in the Monday folder that my school requires and it stays in their binder and never leaves.  You can kinda see it sticking out of the top of the binder :).  I needed a name for the binder that translated into Spanish easily for my teaching partner and so we named it our Eagle Binder to match our school mascot.



Homework Calendar
Each week we send home a new homework calendar and we punch holes in it so the kids can put it at the front of their binder.  The kids do their homework on loose leaf notebook paper and return it on Friday.  Since I teach in a Dual Language classroom, the kids do homework in English and Spanish.  Their Spanish spelling words will go in the blank rectangles at the top.  Here is an example of our homework calendar that my amazing partner created.



Flipped Lessons
Did you notice the math homework?  That's right I do all my math homework on Edmodo and I love it!  I've been creating math lessons for my kids using camtasia and the kids watch them as their math homework.  At the end of each video, the kids have to answer questions that they answer on their loose leaf paper.  Then, they click submit to turn in the assignment.  That helps me see which students need to watch the video and complete the questions in class.



I post one video a week and I've been getting great feedback from both students and parents.  The great thing about using Edmodo is that they have a mobile app that most students can access on their parent's smart phone.  The kids that don't have access have the opportunity to watch the videos during our station time or on Thursday mornings before school, when they have their morning library time.


As the year progresses, I hope to use Edmodo for almost all of my homework.  The kids really enjoy responding and getting feedback faster than the pencil and paper homework.  It's also much easier to keep track of and stay organized.  I hope to post more about Edmodo and my Flipped Learning classroom in future posts.

I hope you enjoyed reading about how I handle homework in my second grade classroom.




No comments:

Post a Comment