Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Professional Development Books Worth Reading [with Sassy, Savvy, Simple Teaching]

Happy June Friends~

It's Dianna from Sassy, Savvy, Simple Teaching here with you today! This month we are first sharing ideas of great books to read. There are a ton of great reads out there.

First, let me share with you a book I read this year with my staff for Professional Development.

This book was AWESOME! Close Reading in Elementary School by Diana Sisson & Betsy Sisson. It talks about so many Close Reading strategies for all elementary school grades. It also talks about conversations, writing, plans, rubrics & more! I loved it because my primary friends could definitely relate to these strategies to use in their whole group & small group instruction. Everything is laid out for you to just implement & go!

Next, let tell you what I'm getting myself into this summer! The first two books are starting this week actually!

The first is a book I read last summer but I am reading over again. Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller. It was so fantastic & books are like movies. You catch more of it the second time through. I love how she breaks down the process of learning from students perspectives. It's something that is hard for teachers to see. This book is all about reflecting upon yourself & improving. I'm joining in with my Elementary Entourage friend Greg from The Kindergarten Smorgasboard for a book study he is hosting.

The second is a book that is brand new to me. Learn Like a Pirate by Paul Solarz. I've only read the first two chapters but I am hooked! This book is all about empowering students to collaborate, lead & succeed! I LOVE it! I'm joining in with my girl Amanda from The Primary Gal for a book study she is hosting.

The last is a book I read in 2004 but I so desperately am itching to dive into again with my staff. The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson. My K-3 Teachers are going to do a Guided Reading Book Study for Professional Development. We have some really good momentum going on now with Guided Reading & Guided Writing implementation in each classroom & this book will help us fine tune some things. It will be a great collaborative summer read to start the new school year with. This book is full of strategies & lesson plans for all primary teachers. It lays it out for you & it is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment