Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Assessment Tips & Tricks {with Stephany from Primary Possibilities}



 A couple of years ago, our district made a huge push on data driven instruction, small group reteaching, and re-assessment.  At first I was like... oh WOW... and not really in a good way.  It seemed like a lot of work, a lot of assessment, and a lot of data to keep track of. 

Over the next couple of years I really came to.... do I DARE say... love it?   I like that at any point if you ask me what a student has mastered, I can not only tell you what they have mastered but also how long it took them to get there and by what means (whole group reteach, small group, one-on-one).

I use the system below for math because it is what works for me. Math mastery is so much easier to track than ELA.  It is often times either "Yes, they got it!" or "No" with the exception of maybe math fact fluency.

Here is one of the assessments from my CCS 1st grade math assessments.  It's short and sweet... worth 5 points and has two higher level questions at the bottom where they must "create". There is a pre-assessment and three assessments.  All are the same format so that the data is consistent.

This is one of the tracking sheets that I use.  

Here is a shot of one of the sheets in action (name are fake)!  You can see that some of the kids showed mastery on the first try(yellow), others showed mastery (pink/yellow) on the second try after another whole group reteach, and then some mastered (orange/yellow) after small group instruction.  


If you look over at Hayden, he still hasn't mastered the standard even after whole group, reteach, and small groups.  It may be time for him to receive some intensive one-on-one instruction or interventions from the math lab.


You can grab up the 1st grade math tracking sheets for FREE over in my TpT Store!  Just click on the image below!

While you are over there, check out my assessments and make sure to follow for updates, new products and freebies.

Happy Assessing!


2 comments:

  1. I just read your comment on another blog that you were from Wisconsin! Me, too! There aren't many of us... it was great to find your blog.

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post and your ideas. Are you going to make these for 3rd Grade? Pretty Please? (Yes, I'm begging!) You could even make the template available and we could fill in the standards.

    ReplyDelete