Facebook Pinterest Instagram Bloglovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

May Your Students be Merry & Bright



It is Christmas time!  This is the crazy time of year where I feel like I can't get anything done, and I am running to the story a million times a week.  Is anyone else having to do that or am I just that unprepared?  

Well...in order to keep my kids happy at this time I gave in and bought an Elf on the Shelf.  I teach second grade, and they LOVE it!  They talk to him each day, get so excited when he moves, and love finding his new spot each morning.   I'm not sure if the kids love it as much as I do, though.  I am having so much fun with it!

This was one of my favorite things our elf has done.  His name is Snoopy.



Also, during the Christmas season we have been learning about Christmas Around the World.  I am teaching a nonfiction unit, so I decided to do this theme due to the holiday season.  The kids are really enjoying it.  We are making various crafts and completing fun activities.  This helps keep the students engaged.

We have learned about Christmas in Germany.  This taught us a lot about where the American traditions came from.  During this unit we learned the difference between fiction and nonfiction books.  We also learned how to pause when we read nonfiction text and use the five-finger rule when retelling.

I fortunately teach at a Catholic School so I can share many things about the Christmas season.  So, to end our unit in Germany, St. Nick visited us!  We had a blast!

The second week we learned about Christmas in Sweden.  Students learned about the St. Lucia tradition and even created the hats to go with the event.  The kids were so cute and felt so special!

The unit focused on looking at the pictures to better understand nonfiction text. 







The third week focuses on Christmas in America.  We will be doing that next week.  You'll have to visit my blog to learn more!

I hope you enjoyed a sneak peak into my classroom during the Christmas season!  If you're interested in the Christmas Around the World unit, click on the image below.  I have it on sale for the next few days!



Have a Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment